ATV Registration In Montana: All You Need To Know About The Law

In Montana, you must register your ATV or UTV by acquiring a registration decal from your County Treasurer. The process is different from registering your car in this state – if you want to learn more about this process, here are some things to know about Montana vehicle registration.

Your ATV or UTV must show the OHV Registration Decal. If you are riding with authorization, you do not need to register your ATV or UTV.

Montana Residents Registration

Your ATV must be registered in order to operate on authorized motorized trails in Montana. Here is how to make your ATV street legal.

  • To register an ATV in Montana, go to your county treasurer’s office and pay the registration fees. Following that, the County Treasurer will issue a registration decal.
  • The registration decal should be displayed on the vehicle’s back.
  • Anyone who fails to display the decal commits a crime and may be punished.
  • If an ATV owner loses the decal or it becomes illegible, he or she must apply for a duplicate and pay a charge right away.
  • Your ATV registration is good for as long as you own the vehicle.
  • An ATV operated solely on private land doesn’t need to be registered.

Non-Residents Registration

If you are a non-resident and your ATV is officially registered in your home state, you may ride in Montana for up to 30 days. If your ATV is not registered in another state, or country, you must get a “Nonresident Temporary Off-Highway Vehicle Use” permission before using it in Montana.

  • The permit is available through Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks (MFWP) offices as well as some county treasurers’ offices.
  • If a permit is required, it must be displayed prominently on the ATV. Anyone who fails to display the permit is committing a misdemeanor and may face a fine.
  • The permit is valid until December 31st of the current year.
  • ATVs with this permission may only be used on trails.

Montana ATV And Off-Road Vehicle Regulations

Check the laws, regulations, and fees for the Montana off-road trails you intend to ride. Local rules and regulations can differ.

  • All riders must have a valid driver’s license.
  • Riders must be at least 12 years old. Riders aged 12 to 16 must have completed an ATV safety course and be supervised by a certified adult.
  • Riding on public roads is only allowed at designated crossing points.
  • Helmets are mandatory for all cyclists under the age of 18.
  • ATV/UTV and dirt bike riders and passengers should always wear the correct safety equipment and helmets while riding, regardless of whether the state or trail requires it.
  • Never drive an off-road vehicle when high on drugs or alcohol.
  • Failing to observe the off-road vehicle rules of Montana and the local jurisdiction may result in tickets, fines, and penalties.

Where Is It Legal To Ride An ATV Or UTV In Montana?

On public property, you can only ride ATVs and UTVs on authorized OHV trails. Cross-country riding is not legal in Montana. Contact your local Forest Service or BLM office for a Motor Vehicle Use Map for further information on trail riding zones (MVUM).

To learn more about off road street legal vehicles, or if you need help getting your ATV, E bike, or dirt bike street legal, don’t hesitate to contact 5 Star Registration, your trusted agent in Montana.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button